Prescription Drugs Reviews and Comparisons
Analgesics (Pain Relievers)
- Adjuvant analgesics overview Adjuvant analgesics are used primarily for treating conditions other than pain. Adjuvant analgesics comprise a various group of medications with different primary indications and include triclyclic antidepressants, antiepileptics, muscle relaxants.
- Differences between Opioid and Non-opioid Analgesics There are two primary types of analgesics: narcotic (opioid) and non-narcotic (nonopioid) analgesics. Non-narcotic analgesics have principally analgesic, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory actions. Opioids are stronger and are used when pain signals are too severe to be controlled by non-narcotic analgesics. The primary difference has to do with the way how they produce their analgesic effects.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Comparison (NSAIDs) are among the most commonly used categories of drugs worldwide in the treatment of pain and inflammation.
- NSAIDs side effects
- Celecoxib vs Meloxicam
- Diclofenac vs Naproxen
- Diclofenac (Voltaren®) vs Meloxicam (Mobic®)
- Ibuprofen vs Aspirin
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen
- Nabumetone (Relafen) versus naproxen, diclofenac, meloxacam.
- Types of Pain Medications also known as analgesics. They either stop pain signals from going to the brain or alter the brain’s interpretation of those signals.
- Tramadol vs Other Analgesics Tramadol hydrochloride is an orally active, centrally acting analgesic introduced in July 1994. It has been used in post-surgical, obstetric, and chronic pain of mechanical and neurogenic origin.
- Tramadol vs Hydrocodone (Vicodin®, Lortab®, Norco®)
- Tramadol vs Ketorolac
- Tramadol vs Tapentadol
- Oxycodone vs Tramadol
- Topiramate vs Divalproex in the treatment of epilepsy, prevention of migraine.
- Gabapentin (Neurontin) versus amitriptyline, nortriptyline, lamotrigine, carbamazepine.
- Gabapentin vs Pregabalin
- Cephalosporin Antibiotics are the largest class of antibiotics. Cephalosporin compounds were first isolated from cultures of Cephalosporium acremonium from a sewer in Sardinia in 1948 by Italian scientist Giuseppe Brotzu. The first agent cephalothin (cefalotin) was launched in 1964.
- Comparison of Macrolide Antibiotics which belong to one of the most commonly used families of antibiotics used to treat infections. Currently available macrolides in common use in the United States are erythromycin and the newer agents clarithromycin and azithromycin.
- Penicillins - classification, mode of action, spectrum of activity of each subclass.
Head-to-head comparisons of antibiotics efficacy, side effects in the treatment of specific infections.
- Amoxicillin (Amoxil) versus augmentin, minocycline, doxycycline, and ciprofloxacin.
- Amoxicillin vs Cefuroxime
- Amoxicillin vs Clarithromycin
- Amoxicillin vs Penicillin
- Augmentin versus amoxicillin, penicillin V, clarithromycin, cefuroxime, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin.
- Azithromycin vs Cefdinir
- Azithromycin ophthalmic drops (AzaSite) versus - tobramycin ophthalmic, moxifloxacin ophthalmic.
- Azithromycin vs Clarithromycin
- Azithromycin vs Doxycycline
- Azithromycin vs Amoxicillin
- Azithromycin vs Amoxicillin/Clavulanate
- Azithromycin vs Penicillin
- Cefuroxime (Ceftin) versus cefaclor, cefixime, cafadroxil, penicillin, clarithromycin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, ofloxacin
- Cefuroxime vs Ceftriaxone
- Cephalexin (Keflex) vs Amoxicillin
- Cephalexin vs Cefazolin
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) versus norfloxacin, ofloxacin, amoxicillin, clarithromycin, doxycycline, cefotaxime.
- Ciprofloxacin vs Azithromycin for Traveler's diarrhea, UTIs, prostatitis.
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro®) vs Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid®)
- Ciprofloxacin vs Levofloxacin
- Ciprofloxacin vs Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole
- Doxycycline vs Minocycline
- Doxycycline vs Malarone
- Doxycycline vs Tetracycline
- Levofloxacin (Levaquin) versus lomefloxacin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, cefuroxime, and cefdinir.
- Levofloxacin vs Moxifloxacin
- Levofloxacin vs Ofloxacin
- Linezolid vs Vancomycin
- Metronidazole vs Vancomycin
- Minocycline vs Tetracycline
- Penicillin versus clarithromycin, cefuroxime, cefaclor, cefadroxil, ciprofloxacin, and clindamycin.
- Tinidazole vs Metronidazole
- Alprazolam (Xanax®) vs Lorazepam (Ativan®)
- Clonazepam vs Lorazepam for Status epilepticus, acute mania
- Clonazepam vs Diazepam
- Hydroxyzine (Vistaril®) vs Alprazolam (Xanax®)
- Venlafaxine (Effexor) vs Duloxetine (Cymbalta) comparison Serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are a class of antidepressant used to treat depression and other affective disorders.
- Comparing Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) to Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs) The two most common groups.
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) comparison - the most significant class of antidepressants marketed in recent years.
Comparisons of antidepressants efficacy, side effects in the treatment of specific conditions.
- Amitriptyline (Elavil) versus gabapentin, desipramine, citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, and trazodone.
- Amitriptyline vs Fluoxetine
- Amitriptyline vs Nortriptyline
- Amitriptyline vs Venlafaxine
- Bupropion vs Duloxetine
- Bupropion vs Escitalopram
- Bupropion vs Methylphenidate
- Bupropion vs Venlafaxine
- Citalopram (Celexa) vs Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta) vs Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Duloxetine vs Pregabalin
- Escitalopram vs Paroxetine
- Escitalopram vs Citalopram
- Fluoxetine (Prozac) vs Paroxetine (Paxil)
- Paroxetine (Paxil) versus citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine, duloxetine, bupropion, amitriptyline, mirtazapine, and trazodone.
- Sertraline (Zoloft®) vs Bupropion (Wellbutrin®) for treating major depression, anxiety
- Sertraline (Zoloft®) vs Fluoxetine (Prozac®) for treating social phobia, PMDD
- Trazodone (Desyrel) vs Mirtazapine (Remeron) for insomnia, depression
- Venlafaxine (Effexor) versus escitalopram.
- Venlafaxine (Effexor) vs Paroxetine (Paxil)
- Venlafaxine (Effexor) vs Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Birth Control Pills Advantages and Disadvantages Oral contraceptives consist of synthetic forms of two hormones produced naturally in the body: either progestin alone or estrogen and progestin. Estrogen and progestin regulate a woman's menstrual cycle, and the fluctuating levels of these hormones play an essential role in fertility.
- Comparison of Herpes Antiviral Drugs developed to work against herpes simplex virus (HSV). All antivirals are very effective and reasonably safe. They differ in their chemical structure.
- Acyclovir (Zovirax) versus valaciclovir, famciclovir, and penciclovir
- Acyclovir vs Docosanol
- Acyclovir vs Valacyclovir
- Valacyclovir vs Famciclovir
- Comparison of muscle relaxers for muscular pain or spasms This review examines the efficacy, side effects, and safety of three commonly prescribed skeletal muscle relaxants.
- Carisoprodol vs Cyclobenzaprine
- Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) vs Methocarbamol (Robaxin)
- Sleeping Pills Comparison : Which is The Best and The Worst? This review examines the use of the most common sleeping pills and their benefits and drawbacks. Comparison of effectiveness, safety, and tolerability of non-benzodiazepines - zolpidem (Ambien), eszopiclone (Lunesta), zaleplon (Sonata), and ramelteon (Rozerem); Sedative antidepressants - amitriptyline (Elavil) anddoxepin (Sinequan).
- Zolpidem vs Alprazolam
- Zolpidem vs Temazepam
- Orlistat (Xenical) versus sibutramine - comparison of weight loss efficacy, side effects, extra health benefits.
Published: December, 2008
Last updated: July 30, 2018