Prescription Drugs Reviews and Comparisons
Analgesics (Pain Relievers)
- Adjuvant analgesics
overview Adjuvant analgesics are used primarily for treating conditions
other than pain. Adjuvant analgesics comprise
a various group of medications with different primary indications and
include triclyclic antidepressants, antiepileptics, muscle relaxants.
- Differences between
Opioid and Non-opioid Analgesics There are two primary types of analgesics: narcotic (opioid) and non-narcotic
(nonopioid) analgesics. Non-narcotic analgesics have principally
analgesic, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory actions. Opioids are stronger and are used
when pain signals are too severe to be controlled by non-narcotic analgesics. The primary difference has to do with the way how
they produce their analgesic effects.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory
Drugs Comparison (NSAIDs) are among the most commonly
used categories of drugs worldwide in the treatment of pain and inflammation.
- Nabumetone (Relafen) versus naproxen, diclofenac, meloxacam.
- Types of Pain Medications also known as analgesics.
They either stop pain signals from going to the brain or alter the brain’s interpretation of those signals.
- Tramadol vs Other Analgesics Tramadol hydrochloride is an
orally active, centrally acting analgesic introduced in July 1994. It has been used in post-surgical, obstetric, and chronic
pain of mechanical and neurogenic origin.
- Tramadol (Ultram) versus Other including morphine,
metamizole, pentazocine, meperidine, oxycodone, ketorolac for postoperative, musculoskeletal, and labour pain, renal colic,
and other conditions.
- Topiramate (Topamax) versus Other How does Topiramate
compares to carbamazepine, fluvoxamine, gabapentin in the treatment of pathological gambling, epilepsy, prevention of migraine.
- Antibiotics for Acne (also called acne vulgaris) a
common skin disease characterized by clogged pores and pimples, blackheads, or red, swollen bumps.
- Antibiotics for Strep Throat, also called
streptococcal pharyngitis, an infection with group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus bacteria.
- Cephalosporin Antibiotics are the largest class of
antibiotics. Cephalosporin compounds were first isolated from cultures of Cephalosporium acremonium from a sewer in Sardinia
in 1948 by Italian scientist Giuseppe Brotzu. The first agent cephalothin (cefalotin) was launched in 1964.
- Comparison of Macrolide Antibiotics which belong to one of
the most commonly used families of antibiotics used to treat infections. Currently available macrolides in common use
in the United States are erythromycin and the newer agents clarithromycin and azithromycin.
- Penicillins - classification, mode of action, spectrum
of activity of each subclass.
Comparisons of antibiotics efficacy, side effects in the treatment of specific infections.
- Amoxicillin (Amoxil) versus
penicillin, augmentin, clarithromycin, cefuroxime, minocycline, doxycycline, and ciprofloxacin.
- Augmentin versus amoxicillin,
penicillin V, clarithromycin, cefuroxime, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin.
- Azithromycin (Zithromax)
versus clarithromycin, doxycycline, minocycline, penicillin, cefadroxil, cefdinir, cefuroxime, ciprofloxacin, and levofloxacin.
- Azithromycin ophthalmic drops (AzaSite) versus - tobramycin ophthalmic, moxifloxacin ophthalmic.
- Cefuroxime (Ceftin) versus
cefaclor, cefixime, cafadroxil, penicillin, clarithromycin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, ofloxacin
- Cephalexin (Keflex) versus
cefadroxil, cefdinir, cephradine, penicillin, ofloxacin, and minocycline.
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
versus levofloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, amoxicillin, clarithromycin, doxycycline, cefotaxime.
- Doxycycline (Doryx) versus
- Doxycycline vs Minocycline
- Doxycycline vs Malarone
- Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
versus ciprofloxacin, lomefloxacin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, cefuroxime, and cefdinir.
- Linezolid (Zyvox)
versus teicoplanin (Targocid), vancomycin, cefadroxil (Duricef), augmentin, and clarithromycin.
- Metronidazole (Flagyl)
versus ciprofloxacin, albendazole, and vancomycin.
- Minocycline (Dynacin)
versus doxycycline, tetracycline, azithromycin, amoxicillin and cephalexin.
- Penicillin versus
amoxicillin, clarithromycin, cefuroxime, cefaclor, cefadroxil, ciprofloxacin, and clindamycin.
Comparisons of antidepressants efficacy, side effects in the treatment of specific conditions.
- Amitriptyline (Elavil)
versus nortriptyline, gabapentin, desipramine, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, and trazodone.
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin) versus
fluoxetine, escitalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, and trazodone.
- Citalopram (Celexa) versus
reboxetine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, escitalopram, nortriptyline, amitriptyline, mirtazapine.
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta) versus escitalopram, paroxetine.
- Duloxetine vs Pregabalin
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
versus citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine, and duloxetine.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac) versus
citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine, bupropion, amitriptyline, and mirtazapine.
- Paroxetine (Paxil) versus
citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine, duloxetine, bupropion, amitriptyline, mirtazapine, and trazodone.
- Sertraline (Zoloft) versus
amitriptyline, imipramine, nortriptyline, venlafaxine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, escitaloptam, citaloptam, bupropion, and trazodone.
- Trazodone (Desyrel) versus
fluoxetine, gabapentin, paroxetine, imipramine, sertraline, amitriptyline, venlafaxine, and mirtazapine
- Venlafaxine (Effexor)
versus escitalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine, duloxetine, bupropion, amitriptyline, mirtazapine, trazodone
- Birth Control
Pills Advantages and Disadvantages Oral contraceptives consist of synthetic forms of two hormones produced
naturally in the body: either progestin alone or estrogen and progestin.
Estrogen and progestin regulate a woman's menstrual cycle, and the fluctuating
levels of these hormones play an essential role in fertility.
Comparisons of Finasteride with other medications in the treatment of hair loss, and benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Comparison of muscle relaxers for muscular pain or spasms
This review examines the efficacy, side effects, and safety of three
commonly prescribed skeletal muscle relaxants.
- Carisoprodol (Soma) versus
cyclobenzaprine, diazepam, butabarbital
- Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)
versus carisoprodol, naproxen
- Gabapentin (Neurontin)
versus amitriptyline, nortriptyline, lamotrigine, carbamazepine, ropinirole, bupropion.
- Comparison of Sleeping Pills: Which is The Best and The Worst? This review examines the use of the most common sleeping pills and their benefits and drawbacks. Comparison of effectiveness, safety, and tolerability of non-benzodiazepines - zolpidem (Ambien), eszopiclone (Lunesta), zaleplon (Sonata), and ramelteon (Rozerem); Sedative antidepressants - amitriptyline (Elavil) anddoxepin (Sinequan).
- Orlistat (Xenical) versus
sibutramine - comparison of weight loss efficacy, side effects, extra health benefits.
Published: December, 2008
Last updated: June 12, 2014