Metronidazole (Flagyl) versus ...
- Minocycline vs Tinidazole
- Metronidazole vs Ciprofloxacin
- Metronidazole vs Albendazole
- Metronidazole vs Vancomycin
Ciprofloxacin is preferable to metronidazole1, because treatment with ciprofloxacin eradicates both pathogens (Clostridium perfringens and E. coli ) and results in an optimal restoration of normal pouch flora. Also, ciprofloxacin is better tolerated than metronidazole2.
|Results of randomized, double-blind, clinical trial of albendazole versus metronidazolefor adult giardiasis 6||Metronidazole||Albendazole|
250 mg 3 times daily for 5 days
400 mg daily for 5 days
|Most common side effects||bitter taste, headache, vomiting and dizziness||abdominal pain|
Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea
In the prospective observational study among the patients with mild CDAD, treatment with metronidazole or vancomycin resulted in clinical cure in 90% and 98% of the patients. However, in severe CDAD clinical cure was 76% in metronidazole group and 97% in vancomycin group.
|Results from 2 randomized, controlled trials of vancomycin, metronidazole, or tolevamer for Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI) 7||Metronidazole||Vancomycin|
|Clinical success in patients with severe CDI||
- 1. Gosselink MP, Schouten WR, van Lieshout LM, Hop WC, Laman JD, Ruseler-van Embden JG. Eradication of pathogenic bacteria and restoration of normal pouch flora: comparison of metronidazole and ciprofloxacin in the treatment of pouchitis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2004 Sep;47(9):1519-25. Jul 8. PubMed
- 2. Shen B, Achkar JP, Lashner BA, Ormsby AH, Remzi FH, Brzezinski A, Bevins CL, Bambrick ML, Seidner DL, Fazio VW. A randomized clinical trial of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole to treat acute pouchitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2001 Nov;7(4):301-5. PubMed
- 3. Romero-Cabello R, Robert L, Munoz-Garci'a R, Tanaka J. Randomized study comparing the safety and efficacy of albendazole and metronidazole in the treatment of giardiasis in children. Rev Latinoam Microbiol. 1995 Oct-Dec;37(4):315-23. PubMed
- 4. Misra PK, Kumar A, Agarwal V, Jagota SC. A comparative clinical trial of albendazole versus metronidazole in giardiasis. Indian Pediatr. 1995 Mar;32(3):291-4. PubMed
- 5. Zar FA, Bakkanagari SR, Moorthi KM, Davis MB. A comparison of vancomycin and metronidazole for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, stratified by disease severity. Clin Infect Dis. 2007 Aug 1;45(3):302-7. PubMed
- 6. Cañete R, Rodríguez P, Mesa L, Brito K, Prior A, Guilhem D, Novaes MR. Albendazole versus metronidazole in the treatment of adult giardiasis: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial. Curr Med Res Opin. 2012 Jan;28(1):149-54. PubMed
Published: March 31, 2008
Last updated: December 17, 2015